Marriage License Info 


For Indiana residents getting married in Allen County, at least one of you must live in Allen County and provide documentation of residency to apply for a marriage license. If you live in a different Indiana county, you must apply for your license in that county. Out-of-state residents may apply for a license in Allen County only if the marriage is performed in Allen County.


You may apply on Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and the application process may take up to 30 minutes. Remember, the Courthouse is closed on all national holidays. Also, cellphones, pagers, cameras and other electronic devices are not permitted in the Courthouse, nor are you allowed to leave them at a desk and pick them up on the way out of the building- leave them in your vehicle.


Indiana residents: $18
Residents of other states $60
Each copy of the Certified Marriage License (required for name change at BMV, SSN, etc) is an extra $2.00. Most counties require cash payments.


Both Bride and Groom must bring one of the following items of identification: 

Current, valid drivers license or state-issued ID card
Birth Certificate
You will also be required to provide your Social Security Number, although your Social Security Card is not required.


You will receive the license the same day you apply; it expires 60 days after being issued. The license is valid only for marriages performed within Indiana.


Both the Bride and the Groom must appear in person to apply for a marriage license at: Clerk's Office, Room 201, located on the second floor of Allen County Courthouse (715 South Calhoun Street).


Both the Bride and the Groom will be asked some genealogical information (full name, last known address, birthplace) that will be reported to the Indiana State Library. Each of you will need to provide this information for both parents.


Applicants at least 18 years of age may marry without special consent.

Much of the application can be completed online (although you both must appear at the Courthouse to obtain the License), eliminating time spent at the Courthouse. For more information, visit Allen County Marriage Licenses here .

Changing Your Last Name

We meet with many Brides each week, and invariably get asked about changing their last names after getting married.

We found this helpful guide from Hopefully, you will find it helpful.

If you’re one of the 80% of couples who have decided to change your name after the wedding, this is for you. To help demystify the process we asked Jake Wolff and Josh Gelb, the experts behind the name change service HitchSwitch/ Kleinfeld Name Change. Here, answers to the most commonly asked name change questions.

1. When should I change my name? Even though you may be anxious to change your name, you must wait until you receive your official marriage certificate to begin the process. You can start preparing at any time and researching next steps, but you must have a certified license before you start changing your name on documents. Call the clerk’s office where your license was filed to get copies if one wasn’t sent to you automatically.

2. What documents do I change my name on first? You should start by changing your name on your Social Security Card (via the Social Security Administration or SSA) — Jake and Josh call this the “gatekeeper step.” Next, they recommend changing your photo identifications including your passport and driver’s license followed by all of your accounts and records including bank accounts, loans and mortgages, credit cards, utility companies, subscriptions and memberships.

3. If I’m hyphenating do I need to go through a formal name-change process? Yes! A hyphenated name is legally considered a new name so you still must go through the process.

4. How do I let friends and family know my new name? Most newlyweds create a new email address and send an email to extended family and friends to make them aware of the change — especially if your email has changed. A fun idea: Some of Jake and Josh’s clients throw name change parties as a fun and creative way to celebrate the new one!

5. What name should I use on my honeymoon reservations? If you are leaving on your honeymoon soon after your wedding, book your travel under your maiden name and use your old passport or driver’s license then wait to change it until you return, says Jake and Josh. If you are leaving for your honeymoon six months or more after your wedding, they recommend booking your travel under your new name since you’ll have plenty of time to change your name prior to departing. Take note: It is required that your photo ID match your boarding pass so remember to book accordingly! Don’t rush to use your new name before it’s changed legally or you may run into a hassle at the airport.

Thank you so much for everything! You both were amazing!!!!” (about Samantha and Chris)
— LaCrystal and Ethan